history of the firm which founded the Valley's first supermarket,
Nielsen's Market east of Solvang along Highway 246 dates back
to the birth of the Danish-American colony of Solvang itself.
An outgrowth of the oldest store in Solvang Nielsen's
Market began as the town's first store founded in 1911 by Sophus
Olsen. (Now the site of Rasmussen's department store).
In 1912 Marcus Nielsen arrived from Dannevang, Texas and purshased
a part of the store . In 1914 Marcus became the sole owner and
named the store the Marcus Nielsen store. In 1921 the store was
purchased by Marcus Nielsen's son Axel,
daughter Clara and Jens Rasmussen. The store
name at this time was Nielsen and Nielsen until
Rasmussen left for college and Clara became Mrs. H.G.Petersen.
The name changed to Nielsen and Petersen. On January 1, 1947 upon
Rasmussen's return to the business and purchase of Clara's interest
the name changed again to Nielsen and Rasmussen.
The final name change came in 1958 when
Rasmussen opened Rasmussen's of Solvang Department Store in half
of the building on Copenhagen Dr. Axel Nielsen continued to direct
the operations of the grocery store and named it Nielsen's Market.
In 1959 the new and present Nielsen's Market location
was opened on the corner of Alamo Pintado Rd. and Highway 246.